Thread: Do you guys remember Marco Van Basten?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Do you guys remember Marco Van Basten? 
    One of my fab strikers of all time, the flying dutchman

Yes of course. A great man.

I was always a fan of Dutch strikers but they seemed to stop producing them after the 00s. Bergkamp, Maakay, Kluivert (in his prime) and Van Nistelrooy were the last elite ones. Especially Van Nistelrooy, he was such a clinical striker. Van Persie and Huntelaar were good at moments but not really elite level IMO.

Right now Dutch football team is in big shit. It's like their weakest team ever. They couldn't even get on the expanded Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavic Fighter View Post
    Yes of course. A great man.

I was always a fan of Dutch strikers but they seemed to stop producing them after the 00s. Bergkamp, Maakay, Kluivert (in his prime) and Van Nistelrooy were the last elite ones. Especially Van Nistelrooy, he was such a clinical striker. Van Persie and Huntelaar were good at moments but not really elite level IMO.
    Bergkamp was good, Van Basten was one of my favs, I was Milan fan back then, 90's were good for football.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis gassed View Post
    Bergkamp was good, Van Basten was one of my favs, I was Milan fan back then, 90's were good for football.
    I started watching club football seriously in 1998 after the WC. Barcelona was the team I liked back then all the way to the end of the Ronaldinho era when they just got too many gloryhunters. I loved Barcelona when Rivaldo was there and they were kinda shit but you could always count on Rivaldo doing some magic. I was never a fan of clubs that just keep winning, it's more exciting to support a team that is close to the top but not really there all the time.

I watched Spanish league a lot 1998-2004 and it was super competitive with Barcelona and Real being good but having very fierce competition in Deportivo and Valencia and teams like Bilbao, Sociedad and Celta were always strong and tough to beat. Nowadays Real and Barca just go through everyone but back then it was a lot harder.

I was also a big fan of German football since I knew how to speak German already when I was little (we lived near the border with Austria) and I was reading all those German sport magazines. I liked Bayer Leverkusen team that had all kinds of greats in that era like Ballack, Ze Roberto, Lucio, Kirsten, Berbatov, Ramelow, Schneider... They always came up short at the end (they got the nickname "Neverkusen" because they never won anything) but had great runs though.

Football back then was a lot more competitive, the really big clubs in Europe didn't start to completely dominate the market up until the late 00s. In early 00s teams like Valencia, Deportivo, Leverkusen, Monaco, Ajax and Porto were making runs in Champions League all the way to the semis and the final. Dynamo Kiev was competitive in late 90s when they had Shevchenko.

In the 90s and early 00s there were a lot of teams that had one big star in them as opposed to now where all the stars are concentrated in like 8 clubs.
    Last edited by Slavic Fighter; 01-09-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Remember this one?

Barcelona vs Dynamo Kiev 0-4 1997/98 CL group stage.

Shevchenko making his name here.

Remember this performance by Rivaldo? Scoring a hattrick for the crucial 3-2 victory against Valencia to qualify for next year's CL.

Probably the best performance of a single football player ever, he literally carried the entire team.

The bicycle kick at 2:12 in the last minutes of the game was one of the most epic goals ever.

I stopped caring about football/soccer 10 years ago so I agree somewhat that the 90s were a better era. But if you think about it, the negative tactics that made this sport unwatchable (for me) started in 1990 when that became widespread in the World Cup. Passive, cautious defensive play all started there. The reason why I think 90s were better because there were a lot more stars and big personalities in this sport. Even Eastern European countries had superstars like Stoichkov (Bulgaria), Hagi (Romania), Nedved (Czech Republic), Shevchenko (Ukraine), Suker (Croatia), Mijatovic (Yugoslavia) even the Slovenes had Zahovic. Nowadays it is not like that, maybe the Poles and the Croats have some well known players but then again, I stopped caring about this sport quite long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by flakka View Post
    Suker (Croatia), Mijatovic (Yugoslavia) even the Slovenes had Zahovic
    Zahović was legendary for us Slovenes, 1998-2002 was the golden era of our football. No one expected us to qualify on Euro 2000 yet alone on the second major tournament when we qualified for WC 2002.

We beat Shevchenko's Ukraine in play offs for Euro 2000, half of their team was from that legendary Dynamo Kiev team from the late 90s, we were huge underdogs. We had Zahović and practically no one else, all our other players were playing in low tier 1st division or 2nd division Euro clubs, well in many cases they were warming the bench rather.

I lived very close to the legendary Bežigrad stadium in Ljubljana back then (it was built even before communism and hardly changed since), it was the shittiest national stadium in Europe but it had soul and atmosphere like no other.

^^Here's the 1st leg against Ukraine at that stadium, Shevchenko scored an early goal and then we equalized through some Zahović magic and then at 2:15 in the video Ačimović scored a goal out of nowhere, it was the most beautiful goal of the qualifications. I remember the English commentary on Eurosport screaming "David Beckham where are you now?". The 2nd leg in Ukraine was in horrible conditions in snow and we managed to scratch a 1-1 draw and qualify.

Croats had a legendary team in 1998 - Prosinečki, Boban, Šuker, Štimac, Bilić, Jarni, Soldo, Asanović... Šuker is a piece of shit as a person though, no one likes him in Croatia anymore, but he is a legendary player obviously.

Serbia or Yugoslavia if you want also had Mihajlović, Savičević, Savo Milošević, Stanković, Drulović but they underachieved like always.

Czech team from Euro 2004 was really great and they played some fantastic football. And also at Euro 1996 when they reached the final.

Yugoslavia in general was a football superpower. Imagine how strong the team would have been in the 90s and 00s if the country stayed together. We would be among the favorites to win major tournaments.

This is how Yugoslavia's team would look like in late 90s

-------------------- Ladić
    Salihamidžić - Štimac - Bilić - Mihajlović
    --------------------Soldo---------
    ----------Prosinečki----Zahović
    ------------------Boban
    -----------Šuker-----Mijatović

This one would be even better though because it would be more balanced as a team:

Circa 2010:

--------------Handanović
    Ivanović---Vidić---Subotić---Kolarov
    Srna----Modrić---Stanković---Rakitić
    -----------Džeko---Olić

Guys like Ćorluka, Krasić, Pjanić, Pandev, Jovetić and Vučinić on the bench, the squad depth would have been incredible.
    Last edited by Slavic Fighter; 01-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.